Sunday, August 14, 2011

Endings/Beginnings and Everything in Between

Alright so, lets see, what's new? LOTS!

This past week I had my final day at Image Gear which was such an amazing experience. Not leaving, but actually working there and it definitely helped me out these past two days. Friday was up at 5am, out the door by 5:30 and on set for 6. But really funny story about it, I went to the wrong set.... We were shooting at the Sunnyside Pavilion on Lakeshore and when I got there, no one was there yet...so I assumed this wasn't the right spot so I walked further down and saw the tent city and all the hustle and bustle that happens on a film set first thing in the morning. Got there, looked around, didn't recognize or know anyone, but finally ran into Katherine Wilson who I worked on the Grynd short film with. So she put me to work and loaded some boxes into the truck for props. But after that she pulled me aside and asked me why I was 2 hours late.... My reply "This is for The Next Star, right?" NOPE! Definitely not...

Well thankfully by the time I walked back to Sunnyside Pavilion, there was more people there and the day was JUST getting started so I knew I was in the right place. Signed the necessary paperwork and on with the day we went. Now before I get started with my picture story, I worked as a PA on YTV's The Next Star music videos. The final 6 contestants all get to shoot a music video, and so thats what most people have been doing all week (7 videos, 7 days) but because I was working I could only come out for 2 of 7. Alright enough of my rambling, I'm going to take a break from typing and just let the pictures tell the story :)


Minor sidetrack: This picture is evidence of the T-bone collision I was like 20 feet away from.... Lets just say the side of that van isn't very flat anymore. Don't worry, everyone (including myself) was fine (I think) But crazy way to end my time at Image Gear.

Alright.... Back on track:

So the day started as any other: unload the truck, set up the tents, put all the camera gear here, etc. etc.



Just like I said, set up the tents... And then the worst thing possible happened to me....



I got put on playback. Now it's really not a hard job, at all. But you do get yelled at a lot, and it takes you away from actually being able to help out on set....which is what I love about being on set. Working. Now I'm not saying playback isn't "working" but still.... Also, thats our portable playback cart...it's like a 2000s version of the boombox, and man can this thing pump.


Yup, we were on a bridge. And because it's a reality TV show, there was a second camera crew there shooting BTS (behind the scenes) footage.


Dolly Moves! Also.....this is when I got taken off playback and took on the role of "CAMERA PA!" That's right everyone! For the rest of the day I worked strictly with the camera department :D Doing anything that the 2nd AC Dan "Grease" White told me to do. Doing anything that the 1st AC Rob Tagliaferri told me to do. Doing anything that the DP Simon Shohet told me to do. And of course doing anything that the AD Jason Bourke told me to do. Just doing anything I was told really. Thats what a good PA does.  


Coolest part of the day...CRANE shots!!







And then it was time to move to the beach!



Dan is in the headband, Rob is holding the coffee on the right.


Beauty beach scene, and thats a WRAP on day 6 (day 1).


Now enter day 2. Day 2 was a house party and I was put as camera PA for the entire day! From call to wrap I worked strictly with the camera department!



1st AC Michael Bailey and AD Jason Bourke.

Ever wonder how they get those car shots?






Now you know :)

And then it's time for a pool party! You have no idea how badly I wanted to jump in...how badly we ALL wanted to jump in.

Steadicam Op Michael Heathcote. 

Overall a very cool 2 days working with the camera department. Now I know I've worked with cameras before and been an AC and done all that, but finally I got to do what I want to do on a shoot for The Field Inc. Every shoot I've been on with them I've just been a regular PA doing anything from cooking/serving to sitting by the truck all day. I'm just thankful that Jason Bourke knows what I want to do and I can tell he's trying to help me get to that goal. How I got put on as a camera PA is all because of him. The camera department on the first day was looking for a PA and Jason knew I'd be a perfect fit for it. And I was :) I got talking to Dan about how I want to break into the camera department and everything like that so whenever he got a chance he would teach me a few important things an AC should know and do. It was really awesome working with him both days and Rob and Mike for a day.

Right after Steven and Chris ended last season Denise told me about the IATSE camera trainee program and basically what it is is a program where you go from set to set to set working with the camera department. Well Dan also told me about this program and he told me that you need some letters of reference for it...and he would be glad to write one of those letters for me :) Hard work is definitely paying off! 

Speaking of Steven and Chris and hard work paying off..... IT STARTS TOMORROW!!!!!!

Thats right, tomorrow is the big day where I walk through the CBC front doors as an official CBC employee. During my internship I had a brown stripe at the top of my security pass....this year...that sucker will be green :D And I'll get a paycheque for it, and that paycheque will go to savings and buying more gack to further my career! As if I'm starting my career...or have started my career :)

Now it's time for me to go back to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment