Saturday, September 24, 2011

i got what you need

Thursday was a studio day and on the show we were featuring DeeDee's lacquer tour, you remember that long day? That's the one :) Well my jobs for that day including: being the elevator boy, wrapping everything used in DeeDee's segment, helping the boys load everything to be returned into the van, and after the show was finished taping, it was time to do some camera testing.

We're looking to redesign the set a little but it's a lot more work than you think, its not just "this looks bad, take it out... this looks good, put it in" You have to satisfy everyones wants and once you agree on something you have to put it on the set and move the camera around to the different camera positions to make sure it comes across as nicely on camera as it does in person. For example, you may really like a lamp, and it may work for certain segments but as soon as you go to one camera position, that lamp may be appear to be growing out of your talents head... you don't want that. So I was down on set to help take out and put in set dec pieces, including lamps, tables, armoires, chairs, tables, everything. But the best part was being one of the only camera savvy people on set... so who do you think got to move the camera to the different positions? And take direction from the director as to what they want the shot to look like? Thats right :)

Maybe a studio camera operator is in my future :)

So I was down on set for a few hours doing that and by the time we had made some decisions it was time to head home.

Enter FRIDAY Stage Left.

Yesterday was supposed to be an outdoor shoot with Carson Arthur but in case you were in oblivion all day yesterday.... it was kinda pouring rain. Like excess of 35mm of rain, pouring. Well Denise and I got to location, met up with Carson, unloaded the car, got everything set up, got the intro done, and started doing his first stand-up.... And then it was Niagara Falls from the sky. We all ran for cover and tried to wait it out, but Carson pulled up the radar on his phone and sure enough we were just at the tip of the storm. We waited and waited and talked and waited some more, finally it was time to call it quits and head back to the office.

That is, after going to The Source Shop and picking up some much needed things, like some BNC connectors, tape, grease pencils, and a brand new slate :) Once we got back to the office it was time to get to work. I put my new purchases to work and started tearing tape for marks, it was as exciting as it sounds, but its a necessary task if you want to be a true AC.
Essentials :) (this is a VERY small portion of the gack I have now :) exciting stuff)

There is a reason for doing this prep (other than Steven and Chris, of course) and here's that reason.

After I finished work yesterday, I made my way over to Joe Sutherland's Rentals to pick up a Sony HDV-Z5U and 2 lav mics. Why would I need all this? Well this weekend I was supposed to be working on a pilot that Melissa Coghlan is producing/directing. So I went to pick up the camera and get a quick walkthrough of everything, then I took everything home and played with it some more to get even more comfortable with it. However, when I woke up this morning there was a text message on my phone saying that the shoot has been postponed until a later date. Downside: I didn't get to do what I was hoping to this weekend. Upside: my step-sister, Jaclynn is visiting for the weekend so LOTS of family time together, my friend Matt is coming tonight, and tomorrow we're going to Kensington Market for "Pedestrian Sunday"...I've never been, but it sounds awesome! 

Anyway, I feel that this post has gone on long enough and it's time for me to not be sitting in front of a computer screen. BYE!  

No comments:

Post a Comment